Pages

Crochet Challenge: First Project


This weeks challenge:  What was your first completed project that you made?
Answer:  I didn't start out small!  I was fascinated with all the afghans that Nana made for everyone.

She really put it in perspective when she said that an afghan is no different than a pot holder - it's just bigger.  What a great way to put it to a "newbie" - it made it so do-able.  I thought, well then, I can do that!

Crocheted Ripple Aghan
I was 13, she taught me to single crochet, then showed me how to read the pattern and start this ripple afghan.  It was made with 2 strands of yarn held together and a size K (6.5 mm) hook.

I did about 2/3 of it, then it sat for 5 years before I finished it.  I still have it to this day, 45 years later, and have such fond memories of sitting with Nana, talking and crocheting.

Ripple afghans are still fabulous to crochet.  After a few rows the stitch is memorized and it can be done without the pattern.  It's easy to make any size desired - just make the beginning chain more or less.  Single crochet, double crochet, or vary stitches and add other stitches.  Change colors up, use chunky yarns, hold 2, 3, 4 strands of yarn together for a super quick and elegant gift.  Options are endless!

Just do a search for "free crochet ripple afghan pattern".  You'll have tons to choose from.

What are your earliest memories crocheting?

Until next time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's never too late to join the 52 Week Crochet Challenge by Julie at Red Berry Crochet!
One simple task per week - your skills, style & knowledge will evolve by just having fun! 

  1. Nothing like that first project. Your first afghan is still absolutely gorgeous. Love the colors. Your grandma was right, it doesn't make a difference what the first project is, just that we try and do it. Sadly I no longer have my holly potholder. Thanks for sharing your first experience with us.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always appreciated!