March 16, 2014

The Best Hummus Recipe. Ever.


 Best HummusI never knew what the big deal was with hummus.  That’s all I ever heard…eat hummus.  I didn’t think it was so great.  That was until I found this recipe.  Now I can’t get enough of the stuff.   I use it in place of mayo on sandwiches.  Have it with veggies and/or pita or corn chips for a snack.  Even as a side sauce for meat. And hubby loves it too!

I’ve heard hummus is better / smoother if you peel the chickpeas.  Personally, we don’t think it’s worth the effort.

The lettuce in the picture is not just to be pretty.  I like to roll the leaves up and dip in the hummus.


About this recipe:
Creamy, slightly nutty, garlic/lemon/olive oil flavors play so well together, each enhancing the other.  After you eat a bite, the flavors are the kind that make your tongue go WOW, and crave another bite.  It's very satisfying as it has such a big flavor punch.

About tahini:
What is tahini, you ask?  Well, you know peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter. Tahini is sesame seed butter.  The kind you buy is made from hulled sesame seeds and uses special equipment to get it silky smooth.  I buy the 16 oz. size Kevala organic tahini online at Amazon for about $11.50.  It keeps well in the fridge for months, but I have no problem using it up much faster since I make hummus often.  The cost seems high at first, but broken down at 2 tbsp. per hummus recipe, it's fine with me.  You can find non-organic cheaper.

There is "regular" tahini and roasted tahini. Personally, I do NOT like the roasted nearly as well as the regular.

You can make your own tahini for less, but it won't be as smooth.  But, if you want to give it a go, I found a good primer and recipe at Food 52: Homemade Tahini, Creamy and Coarse and a toasted recipe at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice: How to Make Tahini Paste

NOTES:
  • This is a garlic-y recipe!  If you’re not wild about garlic, start with 1 clove.
  • A good quality olive oil is a definite plus, when making hummus.
  • Some remove the garbanzo bean skins for a smoother hummus.  It's easy to remove the skins, but very time consuming.  I don't find it's worth it, but try it both ways!
  • You can not "over-process" hummus.  When I start the processor I just let it run while I clean up.
  • Keep in the fridge for a healthy quick snack when (or hopefully before) blood sugar crashes.
  • Good served with black olives, crackers, chips, veggies, used as a sandwich spread instead of mayo, dolloped on a steak... anywhere your imagination takes you!
HUMMUS
Hummus prep
Makes approx 2 cups

15 oz. can garbanzo beans
4 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. tahini
2 large or 3 small cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. olive oil, DIVIDED
Paprika

Directions:
1.  Drain beans, reserving 1/3 c. liquid.
2.  Put drained beans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, and 2 tbsp. olive oil in a food processor.
3.  Process for 2 minutes, scraping bowl once or twice.
4.  If necessary, add reserved liquid a bit at a time until hummus is the consistency you want, and process 2-4 more minutes while you clean up, scraping the bowl once or twice.
5.  Put in bowl, drizzle remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil on top and sprinkle with paprika.

Keep hummus in the refrigerator up to 7 days.  You can freeze hummus, if you're not going to eat it up before then, although we never have that problem!  Here is a good article on storage and freezing:  About.com, Middle Eastern Food, Can You Freeze Hummus?

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I've heard the same things about hummus, but haven't brought myself to try it. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I do hope you try it. Don't buy the store bought stuff! I added more info to this blog if you want to come back and check it out.

      Delete
  2. It took me a bit to try hummus but like it now. Your recipe sounds delicious. As a solo person, I eat out a lot and sometimes my cravings are for something at home. For how long will this keep in the refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, and I'll add the info to the blog, too! The recipe makes about 2 cups, and I usually eat it all within 4-5 days; once it was in the fridge about 6 days before it was eaten up and it was still good. Upon further research, I find up to 7 days in the fridge is okay. If you are not going to use it up, you can freeze it. It may possibly have a bit of change in texture and flavor, but from what I have read it is normal and minimal. Here is a good place for info on storing and freezing hummus: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/tipsandtechniques/f/Can-You-Freeze-Hummus.htm

      Delete

Thank you coming by. Your comments and opinions are always appreciated!